Oct 4, 2013

Is Facebook Doing a location Matching ?



I met an acquaintance of mine a few days back. Usually that person's facebook updates don't come in my news stream. However, couple of inconsequential updates on FB over the last few days from that person ( not 'liked' by anyone, not the most recent one in my stream ) has appeared prominently in my news stream.

 How could facebook give prominence to such an activity in my stream ? My conjencture is that facebook may be doing a location matching . My phone is always connected to net..And, facebook app may have been on as well. I'm supposing that may be true for this particular person as well. So, FB may be doing a location based hypothesis that we have met , and based on that, highlighting the updates more prominently..  Interesting, but kind of creepy.

After seeing this interesting Ted Talk ( http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html ) sometime back, I think we are nearing an age where science fiction  & fantasy in some dimensions atleast gets near reality.



No comments: