Aug 18, 2010

The Clock Runs a Full Circle



There is a lot of noise being made about Mamata Banerjee's common rally along with the Maoists.Left & BJP are equally vociferous in criticizing her..I'm no Trinamool supporter either, however I find the development actually positive

I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to Indian politics. Somehow the belief that system will work out well in the long run is entrenched in me. During my first year @ IIMK, I was exposed to an amazing course called Social Transformation of India taken by A F Mathew. It exposed us to the grim realities of Rural India and why people take up arms as a means to end desperation..  Arms struggle is not a viable option in long term..Neither will it work in a well informed & increasingly well connected world.. The growing assimilation of Maoists in Nepal to the mainstream politics in a pointer to that. I've a feeling that even the Maoists in India are realizing the futility of an armed campaign outside their comfort zone..In Economics terms, 'Network Externalities' are forcing Maoists to take this path :)

 No matter whatever be the political brownie points that Mamata is aiming at, the fact is that Maoists are increasingly seeking an acceptable 'channel'  to the outside world.. And that political channel, whether it comes through Left or Trinamool is largely immaterial..

1 comment:

Rahul said...

I agree with most of what you said and hope your conclusion is right. But I think Indian Maoists aren't as centrally controlled and organised as Nepal's. I am not sure how much influence Kishenji has on those who are considered his cadre. Regardless though, this doesn't weaken your argument.